Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Whipple

June 10

It’s been over two months since my last entry and a lot has happened since then. I’ll give you the short story: after my April cycle was cancelled, I had two cycles that did not even merit stimulation - one with 3 antral follicles and the second with zero. Antral follicle counts are those they do on day 3 of one’s menstrual cycle to see what raw materials we have to work with. With so few follicles, no stimulation would get me off the ground, so we had two cycles pass us by, the last one in early May.

In the meantime, we embarked on a crazy renovation, which coupled with Andrés’s surgery, I blame partially for my low or non existent follicle count. We didn’t intend for a reno on that scale, but – hey – things happen. We were certainly worried with the last cycle that had no follicles, so we went back at the beginning of the cycle I am in right now, and saw with some relief that I am at least still making follicles. I had 4. We’ll go back in late June or early July and see what’s going on then...

Meanwhile, Andrés finally decided he wanted the Whipple (the complicated surgery I told you about in early March). I truly admire his obstinacy and persistence. He didn’t take anyone’s word for it and consulted with several doctors and “professional patients” before coming to the realization that if it didn’t happen now, it would have to happen later, and better do it now that youth is on his side and he can probably recover from it without much difficulty. He planned ahead and banked his blood just in case, although this isn’t the kind of surgery that comes with much blood loss, at least not usually. He also banked his sperm, so things could carry on regardless of whether he felt up to it or not, or if his sperm counts were down post-surgery due to stress, or if he (God forbid) had to go through chemo. Now, tonight, we’re finally on the eve of the big day. His surgery is tomorrow at 8 am, at Toronto General.

It’s a long surgery, lasting anywhere between 6 and 8 hours, and a long recovery including 7 to 10 days in the hospital; no food or drink for the first 4 days; the first few days in an intermediate care unit, then to a room; a strict diet for a while and then little by little testing his body’s capacity to assimilate nutrients. But we’re ready. It’s been a long worthwhile wait. Worthwhile because he’s ready, and that’s what counts.

It’s 11:30 pm and he’s snoring away courtesy of Ativan. Tomorrow we’ll be up bright and early around 5 am, to be at the hospital by 6 and get him ready for the OR. I will be there all day, so feel free to pass by if you’re in the neighbourhood. If not, then stay tuned through the blog, which I will continue to update daily, as I did last year by email when he had kidney surgery. Or call or email us... I’ll be checking both voicemail and email.

I will be printing your responses or comments to read to him when he is up for it, so feel free to post. I thank all of you who have offered your help in any way possible. I may take some of you up on your offers, depending on how things go. In the meantime, keep Andrés in your prayers and thoughts or meditations. We are quite confident that by this time tomorrow the surgery will be a thing of the past and we will finally be able to obsess about something else! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bet wishes go out to you, Andrés and Patricia.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today... sending lots of love and we'll back there as soon as we can to cheer on the dual champs you are... (champ, being an andres word!)

xoxoxo A

Anonymous said...

Hola Patty espero que todo haya salido bien con la operacion de Andres. Te vamos a llamar hoy en la noche para ver como estan. Ahora estoy en la clinica preparandome para mi proximo IVF. No duden en llamarme si necesitas cualquier cosa.

Mucha fuerza!

Carinos,
Patty y Diego